Tying the knot is one of the biggest decisions of your life. So it is not surprising that many people tend to get a bit overwhelmed as the big day arrives. Though this can trigger the condition but depression is much more than this.
You know you are depressed when the time that is supposed to be incredibly special, exciting and joyous makes you feel down, pessimistic, apathetic and simply melancholy. The manifestation of pre-wedding depression can be different for different people. In fact, it is said that no two cases are same.
Pre-wedding depression can crop up because of anything. Mostly blame it on the stress and the nitty-gritties of the wedding but there are also other factors that can trigger this feeling of despair in you. No matter what the reason is, here are some ways that will help you to deal with pre-wedding depression. Just read on.
- Envisage the Perfect Day – Visualising the perfect day will not only help to alleviate the stress related to the day but it will also create a positive kind of excitement in you. This happens because when you dream of the perfect day you can actually picture the meticulous details that you want and work for the day accordingly. This also helps to reduce the stress as you are envisioning the wedding to be taking place flawlessly in your mind and know what are to be included in reality to achieve that.
- Talk with the One You Trust – Ensuring that someone you trust knows what you are going through can be can be quite reassuring at times like these. This person can be your best friend, your spouse or a licensed therapist. You will feel good with the different stages of the condition this way. For example, when on certain days you don’t feel like getting out of bed you will feel relieved that there is someone who understands it. This will help you with the condition and also come out of it eventually.
- Focus on the Feeling of Depression – You should look inside and try to figure out from where it is actually coming. Try to deduce if this feeling is in your chest, stomach or throat. These places hold tension and you can remove it completely from those areas by doing away with the emotion attached with the tension. You can focus on the sensation that you have on your chest and give it a name, shape or colour. Instead of concentrating on the heaviness you can now connect with the emotion in a new way. You should keep concentrating on this feeling until you can sense it to move up and leave. This can be a slow or quick process. Once you have moved the emotion, you can then imagine putting the sensation in a balloon and let it float away.
- Find Your Own Fun – You must understand that there are different aspects of the wedding that different people enjoy. While some are excited about the wedding menu others fantasize about the perfect wedding dress. There are also those who find enthusiasm in the venue while some others are more obsessed with the flowers and the décor. Find your fun. Focus and rave on it. This will help you to cope with the situation.
- Delegate the Items on the To Do List – Weddings happen to be stressful and that is why you must ensure that you don’t have to do everything by yourself. You should take some of the pressure off by delegating tasks to the wedding planners, friends, relatives, the bridal party and the groom. Tell them what to do exactly and then ask and confirm. All of you can enjoy more if you let them help you.
- Go for Premarital Counselling – This will give you and your partner the opportunity to talk and come to terms to the big issues arising prior to taking the big step. This will soothe the pre-marital blues and give couples the chance to talk about their fears with each other which will make it better for them in more ways than one.
The above are some of the tips suggested by the professional counsellors to deal with pre-wedding depression. The experts of reputed event organisation agency who have organised a plethora of successful events in the past are also of the opinion that this condition should not be ignored and should be dealt with properly so that the couple can enjoy every moment of one of the most special occasions of their life.